- 1) EAGLESHAY, an isle, in the parish of Rousay and Eaglesay, county of Orkney; containing 190 inhabitants. It lies on the east side of the island of Rousay, from which it is separated by Howa Sound, and is about two miles and a half long and one broad, and entirely composed of sandstone and sandstone flag; in some parts the strata are very much elevated. The soil is good, but is indifferently cultivated. This island, from its beauty, has been chosen as a place of residence by several distinguished persons: the families of Douglas and Monteith, its former proprietors, resided here, and even the bishops preferred it for their habitation. St. Magnus was murdered on the isle, and the church, dedicated to him as the tutelar saint of the Orkneys, is said to have been erected on the very spot where the deed was perpetrated by his ambitious relative. In the month of October, the spongia palmata and oculata are cast on the shore in great abundance; and a considerable quantity of kelp is produced annually.2) EAGLESHAY, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It is one of the smallest of the Shetland group, and is situated in St. Magnus' bay, a short distance westward of Islesburgh, on the Mainland; there is some good pasturage; and rabbits are very numerous.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Eagleshay — (Eglesha, spr. Iglshä), Insel der Orkneygruppe od. Orkaden; 200 Ew … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Rousay and Eagleshay — ROUSAY and EAGLESHAY, a parish, in the North Isles of the county of Orkney; containing, with the islands of Eagleshay, Enhallow, and Wier, 1294 inhabitants, of whom 982 are in the island of Rousay, 9 miles (N. by W.) from Kirkwall. This parish … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Orkney — (spr. Orkni), 1) (Orkney s Stewartry) eine der Familie Dundas gehörige Voigtei des Königreichs Schottland; besteht aus den Inselgruppen O. u. Shetland, 62,65 QM. mit 62,313 Ew.; 2) (Orkaden, Orkadische Inseln), Inselgruppe an der Nordostspitze… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Egilshay — Egilshay, so v.w. Eagleshay … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Eglesha — Eglesha, so v.w. Eagleshay … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Northmavine — NORTHMAVINE, a parish, in the Mainland district, county of Shetland, 30 miles (N. W. by N.) from Lerwick; containing, with the hamlet of Hillswick, 2504 inhabitants. This is a peninsula of nearly triangular form, joined to the remaining… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Orkney Islands — ORKNEY ISLANDS, a group forming, with that of Shetland, a maritime county, in the northern extremity of Scotland; and bounded on the north by the waters which divide Orkney from Shetland; on the east by the North Sea; on the south by the… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Westry — WESTRAY, a parish, in the county of Orkney, 19 miles (N.) from Kirkwall; containing 1791 inhabitants. This parish, which includes the islands of Westray and Papa Westray, is supposed to have derived its name from its relative position with… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland